What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is grounded in Jesus' command to love one another. Through one-to-one caring relationships, those who are hurting receive the love and care they need to support them.
- Is life more than you can handle alone right now?
- Are your health, your attitude, or your relationships suffering?
- Are you adjusting to a new job, change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, a recent move?
- Would you like to have someone in your life who really cares?
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, to share God's love with you can help you get through the confusion, stress, or loneliness you may be experiencing.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is.....
- a child of God, who walks beside a hurting person;
- a caring Christian friend who really listens;
- a lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care.
A Stephen Minister is NOT...
- a counselor or therapist;
- a problem-solver;
- a casual visitor.
Stephen Ministry helps meet the needs of individuals who are...
- terminally ill;
- in a job crisis;
- new members of the church;
- in a spiritual crisis;
...looking for a caring, Christian friend.
How does the referrals process work?
- A person - either you, a relative, or a friend - is hurting and in need of Christian care.
- The Stephen Ministry Referrals Coordinator learns about this need for care - from the pastor, the person or a friend, always with the person's permission.
- The Referrals Coordinator meets with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry.
- With the person's permission, the Referrals Coordinator assigns a Stephen Minister to meet on a weekly basis with the person.
The Stephen Minister continues to provide distinctively Christian care for the person with strict confidentiality.